Thanks to Abby for giving me the LOVELY BLOG AWARD! Basically, now I have to tell you lovely blog followers seven unusual things about me. Here’s all seven, though I’m not sure how unusual any of them are…
1) I fence. No, not as in building fences. I fence as in I fenced competitively for a time in college. That’s right. I get to tell my son “If there are any monsters under your bed, they’re going to have to sword fight me first.”
2) I have the sense of humor of a 17-year-old boy. Which means, I find Wayne’s World, Talladega Nights, Superbad, Clerks 2, ect. extremely hilarious. I think I relate to Superbad more than I should…
3) I own nine rabbits, all velveteen Rex Rabbits (yes, the velveteen bunny DOES exist!). YEP. Count ‘em. NINE. No, I’m not a crazy bunny lady. At least, I don’t think so haha. I originally bought two rabbits, Hazel (my stately gentlemen bunny who only likes me and so named for Watership Down) and Socks (black with white feet and BLUE eyes!), thinking they were both boys. Oh, I was naive.
Soon, they had six baby bunnies! I had no idea what to do, so I found three of them good homes (the all black one, Coraline, lives with my friend and fellow writer Corey!) and one of them passed. I kept the remaining two boys, Papillion (a boy with black and white butterfly spots on his face) and Coffee (also a toffee-colored boy who, in fact, smells like coffee). You can see them as babies here:
I barely blinked and Socks and Papillion had FIVE MORE BUNNIES. After joining the House Rabbit Society and learning what happens to most pet rabbits, especially in the south (Read: they get abused, neglected, or EATEN), my husband and I decided we couldn’t part with them. Socks had two sets of twins: Junior (who looks exactly like Socks, but is a boy) and Oreo (black and white girl) and Comet (All black boy with a white tuft on his chest) and Babydoll (a girl so named for being the biggest floppy lap bunny). Last but not least, was born the fifth bunny Houdini, my husband’s favorite little escape artist and a pure white rabbit with BLUE eyes. She’s a snuggle bunny.
4) I’m kind of obsessed with Sam Raimi. All right, not kind of. I’m REALLY obsessed. I’m a HUGE Army of Darkness fan. My husband and I fell for each other in a Barnes and Noble because we both loved Ginger Snaps and had Bruce Campbell’s “If Chins Could Kill” on our night stands. I’m so glad I married a man who loves horror as much as I do. I’m not sure who else would put up with watching so many scary or gorey movies with me. Ah true love…
5) I know every word to every animated movie I’ve ever seen. Don’t play me in any sort of Disney trivial pursuit… That said, my favorite animators are Don Bluth (All Dogs Go to Heaven, Anastasia… yeah, that guy) and Richard Williams, THE father of animation and maker of Who Framed Roger Rabbit along with the bible every animator uses on “how to be an animator.”
That said, my dream job growing up was to become an animator for Disney or Dreamworks. I wanted to make kids laugh and still do. Then I realized I would become a “tweener.” *shudder* Basically, I would watch a senior animator drawn the first and last frame… then have me come in behind them and draw 50-100 frames of animation. Just wasn’t for me. Then the bottom dropped out in traditional animation, so I trained in After Effects with my mentor Dean Velez, an Emmy-award-winning motion artist (whose school I’m going to start teaching writing at this summer!). I lead a dual life as both illustrator/animator and writer. I can’t be one without the other. If you want to check out some of my animated pieces, take a look!
6) I’m not a total gamer, but I can kick *** at first person shooters and fighting games. My husband tried to play me in Mortal Combat in an arcade once. Not only did I beat him seven times in a row, I placed on the top three scoreboard. (I love him because instead of getting upset, he just fell for me harder haha) My favorite shooter is BioShock because I couldn’t resist a horror video game based on books haha.
My favorite video game ever is Kingdom Hearts because… Disney.
7) My favorite music to write to is really all the James Newton Soundtracks, particularly the Village and Lady in the Water. I also adore Clint Mansell, which is Black Swan and the Fountain, two of my favorite movies ever. Especially Black Swan. I even dressed as her once (red eyes and all). Me with Frank (my number one fear haha):
Now for tagging:
1) Juliana Brandt
2) Corey Parsons
3) Meghan Shuler